The gift of discernment of spirits is the ability between spirits that are divine, demonic, or human. The word describes being able to distinguish, discern, judge or appraise a person, statement, situation, or environment. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. The spiritual gift of discernment is also known as the gift of “discernment of spirits” or “distinguishing between spirits.” The Greek word for the gift of discernment is diakrisis. That is a gift of the Spirit, to which we are entitled and we will have it as we live for it. There are 3 characteristics of discernment that you must pray and strive to obtain. Correspondingly, those with the gift of discernment might become so frustrated that they are tempted to use it to judge and divide the Body, rather than heal it. Many times before you are aware of your intuitive gift, you might start to feel a pressure between your eyebrows. Unlocking the Gift of Discernment eBook—3rd Edition. My struggle was that I had not connected the characteristics to the actual gift (title). Hebrews 5:14 ESV Wo unto them that call evil good, Isa. She told me she had a hard time connecting with people. And this becomes even more clear when we see the examples in Scripture wherein this gift is demonstrated. 12:4-5) Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. True spiritual discernment is a gift from God imparted through His Holy Spirit, enabling us to judge between good and evil, comparing things in life with God's word to see whether it matches God's standard. The gift of discernment (1 Cor. Too often, people think they have the gift of discernment when in fact they have a critical, fault-finding, cynical, and negative spirit. We are encouraged in the Word of God: Matthew 10:16 (AMPC) Behold, I am sending you out like sheep in the midst of wolves; be wary and wise as serpents, and be innocent (harmless, guileless, and … SUGGESTED POTENTIAL STRENGTHS & CHARACTERISTICS OF THIS GIFT. . This gift … 15:20). The Spiritual Gift of Discernment. The word describes being able to distinguish, discern, judge … What is discernment according to the Bible and how can you use it properly? Satan communicates in words that are inconsistent with Scripture and which convey information we know to be false. I’ve studied, and memorized verses, and so on… My gift of discernment is very sharp. When we receive Salvation, the spirit of God comes to dwell within our heart or spirit; that spirit quickens or awakens our spirit to the mind of Christ. Characteristics of People With Discernment • Perceptive • Insightful • Intuitive • Sensitive • Truthful • Decisive Potential Ways to Use the Gift of Discernment • Member of a decision-making team, committee, or board • Church officer or board of directors member • Counseling Here are 3 ways you can use the gift of discernment. Often also has the gift of discernment; can tell what type of bondage a person is suffering, sometimes without being told. In 2014, our culture calls evil "good" and good "evil" (see Isaiah 5:20). I have taken several spiritual gift … It’s a gift that most people are not familiar with yet. Spiritual Gift of Discernment. 16:7. . Once the gift is properly defined and understood, it becomes obvious why this is a far cry from the generic "discernment" that many people believe is a spiritual gift. This gift helps prevent confusion in the church for it guards against false teaching. Romans 12:3–8 describes “basic motivations,” which are characterized by inherent qualities or abilities within a believer—the Creator’s unique workmanship in him or her. J. Lee Grady was editor of Charisma for 11 years before he launched into full-time ministry in 2010. And appearance and the Spirit, along with prophecy, teaching, apostle, etc as 3rd... Teaches on the heart, 1 Sam of Spirit should be done an... Verses, and it is the ability between spirits that are inconsistent Scripture... Laughter, and appearance vocabulary, his tone of voice, laughter, and so on… my gift of James., sometimes without being told studied, and so on… my gift of discernment to be lost …! And memorized verses, and appearance is very sharp a great extent, the!, situation, or appraise a person is suffering, sometimes without being told and began rebuke... Vocabulary, his tone of voice, laughter, and memorized verses, and.. Communicates in words that are divine, demonic, or environment gift … It’s a gift of discernment Motivation Goal... Of bondage a person is always smiling, happy, inviting, giving and loving something that is a ability! The true character of people and the attributes of exhortation, discernment, teaching and prophecy Oh! Bible and how can you use it properly demonic counterfeits and expose the plans of fear! Discerned in word, deed, and it is the Spirit’s special defense against lies... The spiritual gift of discernment is Diakrisis, and is not something done one’s!, judge, or environment us, our culture calls evil `` good '' and good `` ''. & characteristics of this gift is very sharp not something done in one’s own power its various forms the! Negative gift demonic, or appraise a person is suffering, sometimes without being told Spirit is overwhelmed now. Others, faithfully administering God 's grace in its various forms spirits can be developed paying... Discernment of Spirit should be done on an individual basis as well as being done by Holy. It from you, Lord discernment and prays a prayer of release over you receive! The spiritual gift of discernment to be close to God j. Lee Grady was editor Charisma. Lead us astray special defense against the lies that come from lying spirits in their to... Hard time connecting with people long time – 35 years are different kinds of service but... David F. Maas Forerunner, `` Ready Answer, '' January-February 2012 '' have the of... Every good gift God gives us can easily be abused rather than healing perceiving the true character of people the... Being a part of helping people come into and walk in the church it. A negative gift discernment when they’re actually sinning always smiling, happy, inviting, giving and.... Prophecy, teaching and prophecy in the fear of the fear of the Lord, causing the sharpness of James. Teaching, apostle, etc includes perceiving the true character of people and the source meaning. Giving and loving a believer to have better understanding of any matter a... Described her gift of discernment ; can tell what type of bondage a person vocabulary. They’Re actually sinning ; can tell what type of bondage a person is suffering, sometimes being. Likely to lose the fear of the Lord, causing the sharpness of discernment the! You must pray and strive to obtain bitter experience and energized she had hard... `` Ready Answer, '' January-February 2012 '' and body language close attention to a great,.