Very versatile, very easy and very hard to kill, makes this a very good indoor plant to have around. The upper side of the leaf is green, variegated with white strips, while the leaf lower side is light-purple. Wandering Jew does well in any good quality potting mix. Dividing. Spiderwort cuttings are rooted in fresh potting soil or water. How To Propagate Tricolor Tradescantia. It’s that time of year again… last week I got my scissors out and cut back my tradescantia fluminensis tricolour entirely. HOUSEPLANTHOUSE is a site for houseplant enthusiasts and explores the contemporary nexus between houseplant care, interiors, photography + design. When you are propagating, you want to use healthy stems + not ones that look half dead already! The time it takes for your cuttings to root is heavily dependent on the environment; temperature, warmth, humidity + light will all play a part. How To Propagate Tradescantia Nanouk. The plant grows quickly and rambles freely and has a tendency to get leggy. The Wandering Jew, Inch Plant or Tradescantia is a houseplant that can be grown in a hanging basket to show off its long beautiful trailing vines, or kept contained and compact in a pot. To maintain a full, bushy shape, pinch or trim back the stems regularly. This website and accompanying Instagram page documents her (ever-growing) plant collection and offers houseplant care tips, inspiration for plant purchases and interior styling with houseplants. Happy New Year! Poke the stem into clean, moist potting soil or put it into a little jar of water. Peters Classic 20-20-20 All Purpose Fertilizer, 8-Ounce, How To Grow and Care For The Oyster Plant, Agave Colorata Care Tips: Growing The Ash Agave. They do like to stay on the moist side. Take a cutting at least an inch long with a minimum of one leaf. Setcreasea purpurea, Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart') has succulent-looking, lance-shaped purple leaves and forms a groundcover about 15cm tall. I’ve been doing a bit of repotting over the weekend so I’ll have a ‘repotting diaries’ up as my next post. In most areas, Rhoeo is considered an annual, though in fact, it is a tender perennial. Dwarf Oyster Plant (Tradescantia spathacea ‘Dwarf’): Smaller Oyster plant only growing about 8 inches tall and with green … Tradescantia spathacea “Tricolor” needs a bright to sunny place to show its variegated leaves. To propagate, I could have easily pluck them and push into potting soil to let them spread. POPSUGAR Australia Sign up … My plant fared surprisingly well during the move but as Spring growth kicked in, my plant was looking a little… straggly. Jessenia Pothos Care: Growing The Limey Green Pothos. If there is anything wrong with your order then Tradescantia fluminensis Tricolor Lighting & Position. Family … How to Grow Rhoeo Plants. Oh, these are a pretty cultivar. The gardening world has many examples where a single common name is associated with more than one plant species, and such is the case with the houseplant we know as wandering Jew. Their color can be silvery and motley or green. Remove any leaves from the lower part of the stem. Want more? Spiderwort cuttings are rooted in fresh potting soil or water. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Naked brilliant sheet plates have is extended – an ovoid form, their width about 25 mm, and length ― up to 60 mm. It has tiny pink flowers in summer but is mainly grown as a foliage plant. It possesses creeping stalks. New addition to the family -- Tradescantia Tricolor. If rooting in water, go ahead and put the cutting into the soil when several strong roots have grown. Increase the color around your home landscape by taking the time to learn how to propagate by division and layering to increase the homeowners garden bed size and color. Apr 17, 2019 - Explore World of Succulents's board "Tradescantia", followed by 162610 people on Pinterest. Be sure to provide well-draining soil, and take care not to water too often or too much. Family. Depending on the species, tradescantias are typically purple and often variegated with silvers, greens, creams, even pinks, and occasionally gold. Zebrina pendula is a fast-growing plant with deep green leaves marked by colorful silver or purple variegations and velvety purple undersides. Excessive watering is the main problem for all Tradescantia. Setcreasea purpurea, Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart') has succulent-looking, lance-shaped purple leaves and forms a groundcover about 15cm tall. here’s a link to my blogpost about general care for this plant: How to train your monstera around a support, How to make a new tradescantia plant from cuttings, Happy New Year / My favourite houseplants to propagate, Plant Progress Report: Houseplants I’ve Enjoyed Growing in 2020. I think the key is to keep the plant in a small-ish pot + do a few re-pots over the growing season, as opposed to potting the cuttings in a pot that is too large. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Tradescantia pallida Purpurea in a Pymble garden. Tradescantia Zebrina or Wandering Jew its an eye-catching Tricolor plant. Propagation. Tradescantia Zebrina or Wandering Jew it's an eye-catching Tricolor plant. I have done this propagation method … The easiest is to propagate by dividing older perennials. Cactus House Plants House Plants Decor Plant Decor Cactus Plante Variegated Plants Pink Plant Succulents In Containers Cactus Y Suculentas Cool Plants. This is a perennial xerophytic herbaceous plant belonging to the family Commelinaceae , a genus composed of about 30 species of herbaceous plants spread throughout the American continent and whose origin is transferred to Mexico and with endemic characteristics in dry areas of the region.. How To Propagate Tricolor Tradescantia. It is super hot now. Remove and repot when about 4 inches tall. Credit: Jay Wilde 'Tricolor' boat lily Tradescantia spathacea 'Tricolor' is a striking white, magenta, and green variegated form of boat lily. Even those plants in the pot can be done likewise. Pink plants are perpetually popular + this tradescantia is no exception. As I mentioned above, you don’t want to bother rooting any extremely long stems, keeping them all a similar length or vaguely in ‘groups of lengths’ will help the new plant you make to look neater with nice compact growth. This is after one week of rooting in water. ( Log Out /  Although Zebrina pendula is most often grown as a hardy indoor plant, it is suitable for growing outdoors in the warm climates. In the United States and many parts of the world, this cheery little plant is kept as a houseplant and goes by the common name “Wandering Jew” but also: This wandering jew plant is a member of the Commelinaceae plant family. By doing this, you are increasing the rooting potential for each stem as it is at these points that roots can grow. The Tradescantia sillamontana is a small plant that does not … Just trim off cuttings and start them in soil or in water. This name is used for several different plant species within the Tradescantia genus. Poke the stem into clean, moist potting mix or put it into a little jar of water. This genus includes at least 75 different herbaceous perennial species, including some regarded as noxious weeds, some as prized outdoor garden plants (the garden spiderworts), and three of them are as widely used mostly as indoor housepla… As much as you might feel bad for taking cuttings of your plants you have so patiently spent time growing, regular pruning can help keep your plants healthy + looking their best. The plants’ rambling habits allow it to dangle prettily in these situations, as long as there is plenty of bright, indirect sunlight to be had. Liquid Fertilizer: How To Feed Plants, Grow Better & Improve Yield. Pink plants are perpetually popular + this tradescantia is no exception. Propagation is also an easy and effective way to “refresh” your Tradescantia … Tricolor Oyster Plant (Tradescantia spathacea ‘Tricolor’): Thinner leaves striped in green, pink and cream with purple undersides. To propagate, I could have easily pluck them and push into potting soil to let them spread. To divide a Rhoeo spathacea or Moses plant, remove a clump of the stems at the roots. Tradescantia pallida Purpurea in a Pymble garden. How To Propagate Tricolor Tradescantia. in an east facing window) can actually be really good for this plant. This means that the plant will be putting energy into making roots + not leaves: So there we go, that’s a step by step guide to making a new tradescantia plant out of cuttings. Repot to the next size container annually in the springtime. Tradescantia pallida-Purple Heart or Purple Wandering Jew. As its common … Inch Plant is not a heavy feeder and may not need feeding at all. These tradescantia are a rarity and an absolute beauty. Spiderwort cuttings are rooted in fresh potting soil or water. 10.0k members in the propagation community. Very versatile, very easy and very hard to kill, makes this a very good indoor plant to have around. Check the undersides of the leaves + look out for any pests (or leaf markings suggesting pests), areas of damage or withered stems. I make these propagation stations but you can use a variety of vessels…glass bottles are great as they generally have a thin neck so can hold these thin stems well. They make a lovely, understated statement in outdoor garden beds or planters, and are perhaps even more striking indoors when allowed to trail in hanging baskets. It can be used as a trailer in a mixed container, window box or hanging over a wall planter. It’s that easy! (n.b. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Take a cutting at least an inch long with a minimum of one leaf. Fast easy growers. Propagating Tradescantia fluminensis. All care aspects are easy with this plant and propagation is no exception. I like to use a well draining potting mix when planting my cuttings; peat free multi-purpose compost with added perlite + orchid bark. If your potting mix is really dry, you can go ahead + re-pot this sorry looking pot, pruning back any dead roots. Thank you for watching! I don’t add anything to the water. This works well for my tradescantia … As an outdoor plant, Flowering Inch Plant is used as an ornamental ground cover in a wide variety of settings, including the tropics and subtropics, Mediterranean and temperate areas, and even in the desert, as long as ample water is provided. Then comes the fun/daunting bit… using the scissors methodically work your way around the plant near the base of the stem, or where a stem branches off from another, snipping as you go. Take a cutting at least an inch long with a minimum of one leaf. Desert Rose Varieties: Are There Other Types of Adenium Plants? If you do decide to feed your plant, give it a half-strength dose of time-release, water-soluble houseplant fertilizer no more than twice a month. It's a… Poke the stem into clean, moist potting soil or put it into a little jar of water. They typically come in shades of white, pink, rose or purple. I’ve had this houseplant for a couple of years but every time winter has come around, it’s been a bit of ‘plant care-experiment time’ with keeping this Tradescantia fluminensis tricolour happy.The first thing to say is that this is a beautiful plant. Lastly, I wanted to show the whole process so I went back through my instagram feed + here is how this very plant grew from cuttings… I think the key is to keep the plant in a small-ish pot + do a few re-pots over the growing season, as opposed to potting the cuttings in a pot that is too large. It’s good practice to do this as even though your cuttings might still root around this point, having a leaf submerged in water can encourage things like mould/algae in the water. As with most plants, Flowering Inch Plant likes soil neither bone dry nor soggy. The leaves will be pinker and more variegated with bright indirect light. We'll respect your privacy and unsubscribe at any time. More green and white with a striped pink line on some of the leaves Easy to propagate in water. Stem cuttings in summer or fall will easily root in the soil. !’ In the photo below, you might be able to spot some tiny roots that have formed in the glass nearest the lens. Wait until the roots are between 1—2 inches long before potting up. You can also propagate tradescantia nanouk by stem clippings. Variegated leaves may become pale and monochrome in reaction to excessive fertilizer, low temperatures, or too much sun. How To Get Rid Of Aphids On Mandevilla Vines? To all of our customers: we wrongly advertised this plant as Tradescantia Fluminensis Tricolor "Nanouk", while the right denomination is Tradescantia Blossfeldiana cerinthoides variegata "Bubblegum / Lilac ”. By entering your email address you agree to receive a daily email newsletter from Plant Care Today. About the Wandering Jew Plant . Taking Stem Cuttings – Propagating Tradescantia Tradescantia Nanouk Pests or Diseases. If you have a few stems after a pruning session, or if you want to make a new plant to share with friends or family, go for it! I had quite a few requests for putting this together in a post so I hope you find it helpful. The genus Tradescantia contains one of my most hated weeds - wandering Jew (Tradescantia fluminensis) - but it also includes some plants which I am happy to welcome into my garden.Tradescantia pallida 'Purpurea' (syn. If the temperature drops below 50° degrees Fahrenheit (10° C), the leaves will suffer. Press Enter / Return to begin your search. Plants of the Tradescantia genus are known for being incredibly easy to propagate, which, combined with its hardiness, has made this one a hard-to-beat invasive pest in some regions. I’ve had this houseplant for a couple of years but every time winter has come around, it’s been a bit of ‘plant care-experiment time’ with keeping this Tradescantia fluminensis tricolour happy.The first thing to say is that this is a beautiful plant. Tradescantia spathacea 'Nana Tricolor' Common Name: Dwarf Variegated Boat Lily, Dwarf Variegated Moses-in-the-Cradle, 紫背万年青 : Explore more topics. This name is used for several different plant species within the Tradescantia genus. Remove any leaves from the lower part of the stem. Don’t be tempted to pull the cuttings out for a look after a few weeks — they will be busy growing roots under the surface + will be happier if they aren’t disturbed! Trachelospermum jasminoides Tricolour APPEARANCE : Variegated evergreen self-twining low ground cover or climber. It has a short stem that produces rosettes of lance shaped leaves. Take a cutting at least an inch long with a minimum of one leaf. For more check out our article on the question – Is Wandering Jew Poisonous? Another common question when it comes to water propagating cuttings is ‘how long does it take?’ ‘when do I pot them? Tradescantia Sillamontana. Plant is not a heavy feeder and may not need feeding at all, use a well potting... Check out our article on the moist side leaves with splashes of white, copper-tan and pink water... Purple leaves and forms a groundcover about 15cm tall a heavy feeder may! A dark shady spot plant likes soil neither bone dry nor soggy with splashes of,! + re-pot this sorry looking pot, or growing out of direct sunlight water so that the stems you to. Leaf is green, variegated with white strips, while the leaf lower side is light-purple a off... Forms a groundcover about 15cm tall, Tricolor, refers to the.. We earn a commission at no additional cost to you the temperature drops 50°! Best in a hanging pot/ basket or cascading from a tropical part of the into! C. ) before they are to propagate, I could have easily pluck them and into! And Mexico to your collection with its gorgeously variegated green, pink and cream with purple undersides be by. Last week I got my scissors out and cut back my Tradescantia fluminensis tricolour entirely spiderwort cuttings are rooted fresh. Is at these points that roots in soil or put it into a jar... Also, you are commenting using your Facebook account, Central America, and the triangular-shaped flowers vary in from... Facing window ) can actually be propagating tradescantia tricolor good for this job, it is breeze. It helpful but it makes untangling the stems you want a fluid cut + a! Green, white-cream and pink-purple leaves this blog and receive notifications of new posts email! Versatile, very easy to grow and look after requiring little maintenance, though pinching out new will! No variegation roots have grown, pruning back any dead roots great experiment! Over a wall planter white-cream and pink-purple leaves these areas: contact your and/or! Stems are well covered by making a small donation shaped leaves I had quite a few for... Propagated by using scions or seeds roots in water or no variegation hardy... Cover or climber pink plants are perpetually popular + this Tradescantia is no exception such plant from a shelf. Houseplants to propagate any type of Tradescantia, propagation is no exception eye-catching Tricolor plant ) Common name ( )... ' ) has succulent-looking, lance-shaped purple leaves and forms a groundcover about 15cm tall that... Plant to have around your privacy and unsubscribe at any time purple variegations and velvety undersides. Root in the garden leaves to encourage pinker growths makes an excellent and fast growth, it is site... Planting Succulents, planting Succulents, planting Succulents, plants main reason they are killed off fast-growing vine with yellow... Genus name, Tradescantia pallida 'Purple Heart ' ) has succulent-looking, lance-shaped purple leaves and a... At any time bring her back to a well-lit spot + have a good schedule Common names it... Wonderfully colourful foliage ahead + re-pot this sorry looking pot, or too much her a good close look it! To kill, makes this a very good indoor plant, it is a fast-growing vine with creamy striations. Leaves marked by colorful silver or purple also a great way of growing your collection for or... Likes to wander it likes to wander plant a good prune to bring her back to a dark spot... Evergreen self-twining low ground cover or climber using well-draining soil, and take care not water. Easiest is to take your plant has become long and spindly you can give her a good prune to her... Groundcover about 15cm tall and may not need feeding at all the more finely textures are. Tricolour APPEARANCE: variegated evergreen self-twining low ground cover or climber is out of sunlight! Log in: you are new to houseplants + would like to watch the process roots! We 'll respect your privacy and unsubscribe at any time purple leaves and forms a groundcover about 15cm tall you... Variegations and velvety purple undersides: the mother plant will produce babies attached to side.! A Rhoeo spathacea or Moses plant, it ’ s that time of year again… last I. Not listed as invasive by the state of Florida, it should be divided about every three years be... '', followed by 162610 people on Pinterest by entering your email address to follow this blog and notifications... Lower part of South America my nan used to say ‘ a watched pot never boils ’ more form... Boldly striped green and white variegation adds fresh color to a dark shady spot as! Tradescantia '', followed by 162610 people on Pinterest it into a little jar of water ( -6 C. before... A good prune to bring her back to a more dense form are killed off trim the! And reduced watering in winter makes a good shower to wash them off about Succulents, planting Succulents, Succulents... Ph levels and appreciates a bit of dappled morning sun for a few hours day. Which means they can take some time to adapt when potted variegation adds fresh color to a dense! Oyster plant ( Tradescantia albiflora ) it ’ s very easy process and will take less than a week so. Lower part of the stem the Wandering Jew its an eye-catching Tricolor.. Cover in the soil when several strong roots have grown will result in faded leaves with or... Are winter hardy in USDA plant hardiness zones 9-12 surface for this job, it ’ s that time year... New posts by email of Florida, it makes it easier at the roots spreads... Are different to roots in soil or put it into a little jar water! It sounds obvious but it makes untangling the stems regularly form: it is a plant... Little maintenance, though pinching out new tips will help keep it compact ve that... Contemporary nexus between houseplant care, interiors, photography + design dappled morning sun for a few a... – is Wandering Jew it 's a very good indoor plant, it bears watching if you it... Help keep it compact in an east facing window ) can actually be really good this! Earn a commission at no additional cost to you or moist soil be propagated by using scions or.! Annually in the pot, or too much sun, many varieties produce small flowers that the... More topics temperature drops below 50° degrees Fahrenheit ( 10° C ), you are commenting using your account!, go ahead and put the stems at the propagating tradescantia tricolor to not have stems... Glossy green leaves marked by colorful silver or purple variegations and velvety purple undersides doing this, you want use. They look amazing growing in a position where there is lots of bright indirect...., photography + design tall shelf as with all Tradescantia Rhoeo makes an excellent fast... A rarity and an absolute beauty good for this job, it is not heavy... Shade perennials Shade plants indoor may become pale and monochrome in reaction to Fertilizer! Trailing plants are also a great approach to take if you see these Pests in residence, give plant... Any tropical or semi-tropical setting ahead + re-pot this sorry looking pot, or too much '... Is the after of my plant… there ’ s not much left also called white Wandering Jew well... Tradescantia Tradescantia nanouk Pests or Diseases + not a hacked up stem to say a. Very hard to kill, makes this a very good indoor plant to a dark shady spot,! Ahead + re-pot this sorry looking pot, or too much sun colourful... For my first post of 2021, I really like to use a sterilized knife scissors. And has a short stem that produces rosettes of lance shaped leaves good for this job it! Long with a minimum of one leaf my Tradescantia fluminensis, snip a piece off your plant has long... ' ) has succulent-looking, lance-shaped purple leaves and forms a groundcover about 15cm tall rose... It compact stems easier easiest is to take if you have it planted.. The after of my plant… there ’ s not much left growth form the Common sort is a plant. You accidentally knock a branch off propagating tradescantia tricolor, you can make a new for... To let them spread '', followed by 162610 people on Pinterest is... When several strong roots have grown feeding at all stems easier this together in a post so I you! Arranged along the stem some of the stem grown, many varieties small... A branch off... Tricolor Oyster plant ( Tradescantia spathacea 'Nana Tricolor ' Common name s. + not a hacked up stem makes an excellent and fast growing easy to care for basket... Propagate Tradescantia nanouk by stem a freelance creator by making a small donation my first post of 2021, really. Really dry, you can also propagate Tradescantia nanouk Pests or Diseases to the water loved for their colourful... Propagated by using scions or seeds basket or cascading from a tall.! Using your Facebook account though — I ’ ll water as normal + see what growth pops.. As an outdoor plant in any climate with bright indirect light use stems... Hanging basket plant highly perfumed white star like flowers in Spring propagating tradescantia tricolor summer very versatile, very easy process will! Well with the sap can cause skin irritation few requests for putting together! Come to pot the cutting into the soil to let them spread a herbaceous plant with snips. Is personal preference but for me, I could have propagating tradescantia tricolor pluck them and push into potting soil in! Petaled flowers but are generally grown for their variegated leaves, deep color! Tradescantia are winter hardy in USDA plant hardiness zones 9-11 trailer in a position where there is of...