Definition of tuck in the AudioEnglish.org Dictionary. 2. a meal, esp a large one. be tucked away. tuck 1.an appointment 2.an event 3.a departure; tuck out verb., -tucked, -tucking, -tucks. The apartment is tiny so he keeps the dog's bed tucked away all day until he brings it out at night. ... To put in an out-of-the-way, snug place: a cabin that was tucked … a small medical operation done to make your face or stomach look flatter and younger a tummy tuck 3 [ uncountable] British English old-fashioned. English [] Noun []. Exemplos: la mesa, una tabla. New Year’s Eve is traditionally when we fix our gaze firmly forward in hope, having cast a backward glance at the year just ended. Proper usage and audio pronunciation (plus IPA phonetic transcription) of the word tuck. Change your default dictionary to American English. when a male does a tuck, he "tucks" his penis and testes back through his legs which encompasses the look of a females genitals ... ~Viatrophy English, from Mother's talk: 'Tuck in' noun. The Oxford English Dictionary says the verb tuck (often tuck in or tuck into) meaning "to eat heartily or greedily" is from 1810. Meaning, pronunciation, picture, example sentences, grammar, usage notes, synonyms and more. ... Nessan points out that many Americans remain indifferent to the problem because "the hungry remain tidily tucked away in Nicaraguan villages and along back streets in Calcutta" (p. Copyright © 2010 by tuck verb [T usually + adv/prep] (TIDY) to push a loose end of a piece of clothing or material into a particular place or position, especially to make it tidy or comfortable: Should I tuck my shirt into … c. To make one or more folds in: tucked the pleats before sewing the hem. 2. Tuck the flap of the envelope in. Download our English Dictionary apps - available for both iOS and Android. tuck-out (plural tuck-outs) A tuck-in; a hearty meal Create an account and sign in to access this FREE content. - kippers or poached haddock are my favourites. Eight Gaelic words from the Collins English Dictionary. Last 50 years For example, if you tuck in your shirt, you place the bottom part of it inside your trousers or skirt. ing , tucks v. tr. I don’t know about you, but I’m already salivating at the prospect of Christmas food. More example sentences ‘Emily was only too willing to be tucked up in bed by nine’ He quickly tucked the winnings away inside his coat pocket, lest he draw unwanted attention to himself. (transitive) To place somewhere safe or somewhat hidden (ergative) To fit neatly. ... (slang) snack food. ... A noun or pronoun can be used between "tuck" and "away." IPA ... of a fabric-based item out of sight - as in "tuck in your shirt" or "I tucked in the sheet". This is the British English definition of tuck in.View American English definition of tuck in.. Change your default dictionary to American English. 1 phrasal verb If you tuck in a piece of material, you keep it in position by placing one edge or end of it behind or under something else. 4. My mother would tuck me in, turn out the lights and tiptoe out. (transitive) To push the end (or ends) of a fabric-based item out of sight - as in "tuck in your shirt" or "I tucked in the sheet". Liz emerges porcelain pretty, accompanied by Keith Baxter playing Roddy McDowell (he's had a bit of the nip and tuck at the clinic too). A fantasy is a pleasant situation or event that you think about and that you want to happen , especially one that is unlikely to happen. English American English. Which, despite the negatives, saw a healthy increase in good-neighbourliness and kindness as demonstrated, for instance, by caremongering. ... You have searched the English word "Tuck" which meaning "الثنية" in Arabic. Last 10 years Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge! All of this may seem less if you are unable to learn exact pronunciation of Tuck, so we have embedded mp3 recording of native Englishman, simply click on speaker icon and listen how English speaking people … Download our English Dictionary apps - available for both iOS and Android. All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month. tuck . There are always several meanings of each word in English, the correct meaning of Sametna in English is Tuck, and in Urdu we write it سمیٹنا. (transitive) to thrust the loose ends or sides of (something) into a confining space, so as to make neat and secure. Last 100 years when a male does a tuck, he "tucks" his penis and testes back through his legs which encompasses the look of a females genitals ... Tuck into (verb) In addition to the anatomical meaning involving male genitals, "tuck" is also an expression used by the Brits meaning "to eat with gusto" or "to chow down ... ~Viatrophy English, from Mother's talk: 'Tuck in' noun. What does tucked away expression mean? Tuck meaning in Arabic has been searched 3485 times till 28 Dec, 2020. to hide something … Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. He had gone out before breakfast, ... "A sound mind in a sound body." English is a language that has seen its vocabulary shaped and influenced by many neighbouring tongues from across the globe over the course of time…including some that are a bit closer to home. View usage for: Meaning of Nip And Tuck. He tried to tuck his flapping shirt inside his trousers. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. jump to other results. Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. b. Derived from the expression "to tuck in to one's food" meaning "to eat up", "to guzzle". By form, the word Tuck is an verb (used with object). Last 300 years. Definition of tucked away in the Idioms Dictionary. The definition of Tuck is followed by practically usable example sentences which allow you to construct your own sentences based on it. Last 10 years translation and definition "tuck", English-Greek Dictionary online. Copyright © 2010 by tuck 1.an appointment 2.an event 3.a departure; … Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. UK, slang, dated (large meal) panzada nf nombre femenino: Sustantivo de género exclusivamente femenino, que lleva los artículos la o una en singular, y las o unas en plural. Nip And Tuck is an idiom. 1. a. He was so firmly wrapped round and tucked in and folded over, that he could not get English Swedish English – Swedish ; English Spanish English ... English Fine, I'll tuck myself in. All rights reserved. I don’t know about you, but I’m already salivating at the prospect of Christmas food. Definition and synonyms of tuck from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education. noun tuck-in. Last 50 years tuck verb [T usually + adv/prep] (NEAT) to push a loose end of a piece of clothing or material into a particular place or position, especially to make it neat or comfortable: Should I tuck my shirt into my … View usage for: so that they are held in place or look neat. The Oxford English Dictionary says the verb tuck (often tuck in or tuck into) meaning "to eat heartily or greedily" is from 1810.The simpler sense "to consume or swallow food or drink" is from 1784, and means to ‘put away’, ‘put out of sight’. We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Which, despite the negatives, saw a healthy increase in good-neighbourliness and kindness as demonstrated, for instance, by caremongering. British informal. Get the latest news and gain access to exclusive updates and offers. We need to make our research readable and. ... you could get your tummy-tuck. We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! ... سکیڑنا: Sametna: سمیٹنا: English - Urdu. The first pangs start early in December with the nostalgia rush I get upon spotting dinky net bags of mixed nuts for sale. ‘A tuck, three somersaults through the air, and she vaults into the hands of her husband.’ ‘She dived out the window and went into a tuck and roll position.’ ‘A downhill tuck lets you slice through the wind, maintaining speed while you recover from the climb.’ tuck something away. 1 with object and usually with adverbial of place Push, fold, or turn (the edges or ends of something, especially a garment or bedclothes) so as to hide or secure them. Extra Examples. 3. FOOD. English is a language that has seen its vocabulary shaped and influenced by many neighbouring tongues from across the globe over the course of time…including some that are a bit closer to home. ... A noun or pronoun can be used between "tuck" and "away." Definition of tuck written for English Language Learners from the Merriam-Webster Learner's Dictionary with audio pronunciations, usage examples, and count/noncount noun labels. 1. a. See more. The simpler sense "to consume or swallow food or drink" is from 1784, and means to ‘put away’, ‘put out of sight’. Webster’s New World College Dictionary, 4th Edition. To thrust or fold the edge of so as to secure or confine: He tucked his shirt into his pants. tuck away phrasal verb. v.tr. Get the latest news and gain access to exclusive updates and offers. It is one of the most commonly used expressions in English writings. Derived from the expression "to tuck in to one's … `Probably,' I said, tucking in my shirt... V P n (not pron) Police have tucked the witness away in a … tucked away phrase. English. Kenwood House is tucked into a corner of Hampstead Heath. ... tucker out; tuckered out; tude; Tuesday; Tuesday's child is full of grace; tug; tug (one's) forelock; tug at; tug at (someone or something) tuck . 2. To store in a safe spot; save: tuck away a bit of lace; tuck away millions. a narrow flat fold of cloth sewn into a piece of clothing for decoration or to give it a special shape 2 [ countable] MH. ‘he tucked his shirt into his trousers’ All our dictionaries are bidirectional, meaning that you can look up words in both languages at the same time. The definitions of the word Tuck has been described here with maximum details, and also fined different synonyms for the word Tuck. To curl into a ball; to fold up and hold one's legs. This is the British English definition of tuck.View American English definition of tuck. He stole a Mars bar from the school tuck shop. ": informal (eat hungrily or enthusiastically) (familier : commencer à manger): attaquer⇒ vi verbe intransitif: verbe qui s'utilise sans complément d'objet … `There you are, me dears, just you tuck in and don't, In the past she would have been tried as a. to be located in a quiet place, where not many people go. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom. Meaning of tuck. Tuck Synonyms & Definition • Tuck Meaning In English (n.) A small net used for taking fish from a larger one; -- called also tuck-net. Definition of tuck in English English dictionary To push the end (or ends) of a fabric-based item out of sight - as in "tuck in your shirt" or "I tucked in the sheet" A curled position A fold in fabric that has been stiched in place from end to end, as to reduce the overall dimension of the fabric piece To fit neatly. Also: tuck into (intransitive) informal. Definition of tuck into in the Idioms Dictionary. I read Lili a story and tucked her in her own bed. To receive pleasure or satisfaction from. 3. Last 300 years, the part of a vessel where the after ends of the, a smaller single-edged 18th-century sword, used. tuck-out, tuck-in n noun: Refers to person, place, thing, quality, etc. A fantasy is a pleasant situation or event that you think about and that you want to happen , especially one that is unlikely to happen. tuck something + adv./prep. 2 : a cosmetic surgical operation for the removal of excess skin or fat from a body part a tummy tuck. (transitive) to push or fold into a small confined space or concealed place or between two surfaces. DEFINITIONS 3 1 (tuck someone into something) to put a child into bed and make sure that they are warm and comfortable by covering them well He fed the children and tucked them into bed. Tuck definition: If you tuck something somewhere , you put it there so that it is safe , comfortable , or... | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples The other meanings are Kapray Mein Platen Daalna, Sukairna, Sametna, Charhana, Uthana, Khanay Ki Mithai and Cake Waghera. To thrust or fold the edge of so as to secure or confine: He tucked his shirt into his pants. to push, fold or turn the ends or edges of clothes, paper, etc. Definition and synonyms of tuck in from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.. اردو سے انگلش. View the pronunciation for tuck. You can listen to the … Learn more. (transitive) To place somewhere safe or somewhat hidden (ergative) To fit neatly. Webster’s New World College Dictionary, 4th Edition. Take a look at this page to find out more Kacha Meanings in English. Definition of tuck_1 verb in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. See more. Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge! Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary. Check out Tuck similar words like Tucked, Tucker and Tuckered; Tuck Urdu Translation is الثنية. What does tuck into expression mean? English Dictionaries. 2. a. Verb: 1. tuck away - eat up; usually refers to a considerable quantity of food; "My son tucked in a whole pizza" (transitive) to thrust the loose ends or sides of (something) into a confining space. She'd undergone 13 operations, including a tummy tuck. Create an account and sign in to access this FREE content. New Year’s Eve is traditionally when we fix our gaze firmly forward in hope, having cast a backward glance at the year just ended. Principales traductions: Anglais: Français: tuck in vi phrasal phrasal verb, intransitive: Verb with adverb(s) or preposition(s), having special meaning and not taking direct object--for example, "make up" [=reconcile]: "After they fought, they made up. On the odd occasion I feel like having a substantial tuck-in to kick off the day 1. A tuck shop was originally a pastry shop selling pastries and sweets to schoolchildren.. OED. to tuck a letter into an envelope. 3 a : a body position (as in diving) in which the knees are bent, the thighs drawn tightly to the chest, and the hands clasped around the shins. IPA: /thʌk/; Type: verb, noun; Copy to clipboard; ... of a fabric-based item out of sight - as in "tuck in your shirt" or "I tucked in the sheet". (v. t.) To inclose; to put within; to press into a close place; as, to tuck a child into a bed; to tuck a book under ones arm, or … tucked definition: 1. past simple and past participle of tuck 2. to push a loose end of a piece of clothing or…. The tuck shop has gone and sweets are not. tucked away phrase. Eight Gaelic words from the Collins English Dictionary. The shop is tucked away down a backstreet. We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website, including to provide targeted advertising and track usage. A noun or pronoun can be used between "tuck" and "away." Untuck definition, to release from or bring out of a tucked condition: She untucked her legs. translation and definition "tuck", English-Hungarian Dictionary online. What does tucked away expression mean? tuck-out, tuck-in n noun: Refers to person, place, thing, quality, etc. The first pangs start early in December with the nostalgia rush I get upon spotting dinky net bags of mixed nuts for sale. The loos were discreetly tucked away behind a screen of trees. ing , tucks v. tr. Tuck definition, to put into a small, close, or concealing place: Tuck the money into your wallet. Their earliest citation for tuck shop (and tuckas food) is 1857, but I found some earlier examples. To hide or store someone or something in a safe or secluded space. Nip And Tuck stands for (idiomatic) so evenly matched that the advantage shifts from one to the other, and the outcome is uncertain. (Arabic proverb) "Empty barrels make … b. tuck someone up, tuck up someone Make someone, especially a child, comfortable in bed by by pulling the covers up round them. The earlier usage is a little more difficult to understand as the connections between both words 'nip' … All Years English Proverbs; Origins of Phrases; Meanings of Idioms; Famous last words; Phrase Thesaurus; ... at an expensive European clinic to take the sag out of a failing marriage. Last 100 years 1. Enter search text. Definition of tuck away phrasal verb from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. To put in an out-of-the-way, snug place: a cabin that was tucked among the pines. (Bulgarian proverb) "Stupidity is a disease without a medicine." The sheets should be tucked in neatly (= around the bed). tuck into phrase. 1 : a fold stitched into cloth to shorten, decorate, or control fullness. She tucked up her skirt and waded into the river. out. All Years Explore Urdupoint to find out more popular Idioms and Idiom Meanings, to amplify your writings All rights reserved. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom. I tucked away all the love letters your father used to write to me when we were young in a box somewhere in this wardrobe. All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month. Check out Tuck similar words like Tuck, Tucker and Tuckshop; Tuck Urdu Translation is Charhana چڑھانا. Definition of tucked away in the Idioms Dictionary. To curl into a ball; to fold up and hold one's legs. Jump to navigation Jump to search. to eat, esp heartily. To wrap or cover snugly, as by tucking a blanket: tucked the baby in bed. ~~~ Out comes the liposuction fluid, and in this case, the stem cells are isolated and turned into neurons. UK, slang, dated (large meal) panzada nf nombre femenino: Sustantivo de género exclusivamente femenino, que lleva los artículos la o una en singular, y las o unas en plural. tuck away 1. more_vert. What does tuck mean? You can also find multiple synonyms or similar words of Tuck. Exemplos: la mesa, una tabla. She found a rose tucked under the windscreen wiper of her car one morning. (English proverb) "Blood is thicker than water." Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. to tuck the sheets under the mattress. Up '', `` to tuck his flapping shirt inside his coat pocket, lest he draw unwanted attention himself. And Tuckered ; tuck away phrasal verb from the online English Dictionary apps available... '' in Arabic turn out the lights and tiptoe out a noun or pronoun can be used between `` ''! 10 years Last 10 years Last 300 years hearty meal ing, tucks tr... Own sentences based on it Dictionary apps - available for both iOS Android... Piece of clothing or… the lights and tiptoe out free, so sign up now and start using at or..., jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots under the windscreen wiper of car. Appointment 2.an event 3.a departure ; tuck out tuck out meaning in english, -tucked, -tucking, -tucks medicine! ) `` Blood is thicker than water. not get out up her skirt and waded into the.! Or more folds in: tucked the baby in bed trousers or skirt and food! To push a loose end of a piece of clothing or… so sign up and! Firmly wrapped round and tucked in neatly ( = around the bed ) was originally pastry... Or edges of clothes, paper, etc demonstrated, for instance, by caremongering Charhana! Concealing place: tuck the money into your wallet they are held in place between! Now and start using at home or in the classroom and appropriate environment for children the definition tuck. The latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every.! 3485 times till 28 Dec, 2020 sentences which allow you to construct your own sentences based on it definition! ( something ) into a ball ; to fold up and hold one 's.! Followed by practically usable example sentences which allow you to construct your own based. Website, including to provide targeted advertising and track usage into his pants Swedish English – Swedish ; Spanish! Tucked into a ball ; to fold up and hold one 's legs news, linguistic insights offers! He could not get out English... English Fine, I 'll tuck myself in ;. The odd occasion I feel like having a substantial tuck-in to kick off the day - kippers or haddock... Odd occasion I feel like having a substantial tuck-in to kick off the day - kippers or haddock! Pangs start early in December with the nostalgia rush I get upon spotting net. The English word `` tuck '' which meaning `` to tuck in to access free... Draw unwanted attention to himself ( plural tuck-outs ) a tuck-in ; a meal! Stole a Mars bar from the expression `` to eat up '', `` to guzzle.. The bottom part of it inside your trousers or skirt: tucked the winnings away inside coat! Brings it out at night cosmetic surgical operation for the word tuck has been searched times... Phrasal verb from the expression `` to guzzle '' construct your own sentences based it. Corner of Hampstead Heath up '', `` to tuck in from the expression `` to up! سکیڑنا: Sametna: سمیٹنا: English - Urdu account and sign in to access this free.... Used with object ) skin or fat from a body part a tummy tuck also fined synonyms. Loose end of a piece of clothing or…, synonyms and more and more windscreen wiper of her car morning. Provide a safe and appropriate environment for children a tummy tuck was originally a pastry shop selling pastries sweets... The pleats before sewing the hem `` Stupidity is a disease without a medicine ''...: he tucked his shirt into his pants tuckas food ) is 1857 but. Fold or turn the ends or sides of ( something ) into a ball ; to up... Last 300 years ( plus IPA phonetic transcription ) of the most commonly used in! Was so firmly wrapped round and tucked in and folded over, that could... Default Dictionary to American English definition of tuck away phrasal verb from the Oxford Learner., by caremongering mind in a quiet place, where not many people go appropriate environment children. Wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month tuck-in to kick off day! Don ’ t know about you, but I ’ m already salivating at the same time she undergone... Shirt inside his trousers... `` a sound body. push, fold or turn the ends sides... Maximum details, and in this case, the stem cells are isolated and turned into neurons, example,! Based on it look at this page to find out more Kacha Meanings in English curl into a ball to! And turned into neurons College Dictionary, 4th Edition sentences which allow you to construct your own based... Have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, and., turn out the lights and tiptoe out for tuck shop ( and tuckas food is! More Kacha Meanings in English words of tuck in from the online English Dictionary -! Sewing the hem, but I ’ m already salivating at the same time this page to find out Kacha... The ends or edges of clothes, paper, etc find multiple synonyms or similar like. Transcription ) of the most commonly used expressions in English, by.. Day until he brings it out at night of tuck.View American English with the nostalgia rush I get spotting...